Say Yes to the dress
What you wear on your wedding day is a cherished memento of your special day, embodying your love and commitment to your partner. It's important that the dress (or anything else you want) you choose makes you feel confident, beautiful, and comfortable as you celebrate this milestone in your life. With so many styles and options available, finding the perfect attire can be overwhelming. However, by considering your body type, personal style, wedding theme and budget, you can confidently select the best dress or outfit to suit your needs and create memories that will last for the rest of your life.
Here are some tips to help-
- Start Early-
- Begin shopping for what you're looking for several months in advance to allow time for fittings and alternations. You might run into rush fees and extra stresses if you cut it too close to your wedding
- I always say get your date & venue locked in, after that your photographer, then look at dresses then lock in food... that's usually the order than things get booked up and you want your choices for your dream day!
- Set a Budget-
- Think about how much you can/ will want to spend on your dress/ attire.
- Remember alterations are an additional cost
- What accessories do you think you want- Veil? Jewelry? Tiara? Make sure to think about any additions when looking at a budget.
- Do you want to wear something different for the reception or "party" at the end?
- Research Styles-
- Look through bridal magazines, social media and designer website. What styles are you drawn to?
- Think about your body type and try to find people that have similar body types and the dresses that look flattering.
- Try on a Few Styles-
- I can't tell you how many times brides have told me that they thought they would choose a different dress than they fell in love with.
- Experiment with various silhouettes like A-line, ball gown, mermaid, and sheath to find what suits you best.
- Think About Your Venue-
- Close your eyes and think about how the venue looks and how you would feel in your dress walking through greeting your guests. Does it feel the way you dreamed of?
- Think about the airflow and what the temperature will likely be the time of year you're getting married at your venue.
- Book Appointments-
- Talk to your friends that have gotten married (or ask your photographer ;) ) about their experiences.
- Schedule appointments at a bridal boutique to receive personalized attention- I think it's a good idea to start with one and go from there!
- If you have inspiration photos, make sure to show your consultant so they can understand your vision.
- Who do you want to bring?-
- Bring only people you trust to not spill the beans.
- Think about the friends and family that can ask you questions to help you decide but not overwhelm.
- Wear Appropriate and Correctly Fitted Undergarments-
- Think about what you are willing/ comfortable wearing on your wedding day and wear that to your fitting if you can. The more realistic everything is, the better it will come together.
- Bring your wedding shoes or something like what you have in mind to get a realistic flow of how it will all work.
- Be Comfortable-
- If you're not comfortable on your wedding day, everyone will be able to tell.
- You will be wearing your wedding dress for hours on your wedding day- can you sit in it? dance in it? be dipped in it?
- Walk, sit, dance a little – ensure you can move comfortably in your chosen dress.
- Trust Your Gut-
- If you have a strong and emotional reaction to a dress, it's likely IT!
- Don't let anyone talk you out of something you feel good in.
- Don't let anyone talk you into something you don't feel good in.
- Your dress should reflect your personal style. Don't feel pressured to follow trends if they don't resonate with you.
- Ask About Customizations-
- Inquire if the boutique or designer offers customization options to make the dress uniquely yours.
- Check Return and Exchange Policies-
- Understand the boutique's return and exchange policies before making a decision.
- Take Photos-
- Take pictures from different angles to help you remember the details of each dress you try on (you can always as a bridal party or family member to do this or hire me ;)).
- Sleep On It-
- If you're torn between dresses, give yourself some time to think before making a final decision.
- Once you find the perfect dress/ outfit- CELEBRATE!!! It's a big step towards your dream wedding!! Like BIG!! Pop the champagne and breathe!! There's still a lot to do, but remember to celebrate every time you get something done, it will help with the big picture- I promise!!
Remember, finding the perfect thing(s) to wear on your big should be an exciting and memorable experience. Take your time, trust your instincts, and enjoy every moment of the journey. You're marrying the love of your life, and that's what truly matters!!
Here are some photos of Reilly finding her perfect dress for her big day! (Yes, I waited until after her wedding to post this so there are no spoilers :))
Thank you to Marcella's Bridal in Spokane, WA for being so wonderful to the bride, the bridal party and me throughout this experience!!